In 1741 Sarah Neal left her house and croft in the centre of Whittington to start a school for poor children of the village. Funds were augmented when the Reverend Richard Levett died in 1802 leaving a legacy of £200 and in 1864 by Mrs Dyott of Freeford Manor, who promised to contribute £50 per annum for the rest of her life. This photograph, with the School House in the foreground, is circa 1900.
The school from Main Street looking towards the Police Station. Woodbine Cottage is in the foreground. Circa 1910.
Whittington Infant School in 1905.
Whittington Juniors circa 1905.
Whittington Juniors circa 1908.
Empire Day. Circa 1910.
Whittington School Staff circa 1905. Headmaster Walter Bramley and his wife Elizabeth are seated. Teacher Miss Lindop standing left.
Fancy dress mid-1920s. Probably Empire Day.
The Girls Class circa 1926. May Pass has her arms around Freda Isaacs middle row centre.
Junior school circa 1955.
School Nativity 1956. Back row left to right: Jennifer Paten, Susan Morris, John Nicholls, Susan Woolens, Lynn Moore. Middle row left to right: Robert Kirton, Roger Toyne, Dave Nightingale, Stephen Cox, Andy Pass, Charles Cooke, Kaye Bridgen, Janet Cross (sitting), Marie Short (standing), Susan Bradburn, Jennifer Millington. Front row left to right: Brian Flaherty, Barry Becket, Phil Ballinger, Teddy Drake, Sean Tayler, Bill Howes, Brian Basford, Ray Wincup.
Craft lesson mid-1950s.
The modern school on Common Lane was opened in 1968.
© 2018 Whittington History Society